Monday 9 March 2009

Globalisation in everyday brugeois life

"Due to transport problems in London, Professor NN has been obliged to cancel his class today. The Professor and I are very sorry for this inconvenience."
With this short message in my inbox my class and thus also my presentation today was cancelled. Because of 'transport problems' in London, England a class on the European Parliament is cancelled at a school in Bruges, Belgium. At my old university a class was once cancelled, I remember, as the professor forgot to tell us he was out of town that day, but mostly the lecturers walked to the Hill like the rest of us. Here they tell us about the jam at Manchester Airport at 4am or how much they enjoy travelling with SNCB (the Belgian railway company) from Brussels and up to us. It's nice to have 'the best' professors flewn in and its entertaining to listening to them joking about the 'typical Bruges wheather, as it is the same everytime they come here, but having them cancel because of a London traffic jam is just annoying. On the other hand, it does give me the opportunity to be productiv today...Like that's going to happen.

No comments: