Friday 24 October 2008

My civic student duty

In a country far away from civilization, between mountains and fjords, cursed with everlasting autumn rain there is a polity, a cité, a town, no, a city, a compressed continental urbanity in the middle of the widerness. This becon of light in the night of barbarity has a name, and its name is Bergen, and in Bergen there's a hill and on the hill there is an ivory tower and the tower has a name and its name is the University of Bergen.
Until only a few months ago I myself spent most of my days in this ivory tower, and among my many activities where also an active participation in the governing of the tower. In other words, I was a conservative student politician.
When I first came to the University three years ago the Student Council was run by a radical left-wing coalition, and so it lasted for my first two years until finally a year ago a pragmatic centre-right coalition won a majority and came to power. Why this history lecture? Today, not long ago, I preformed my civic student duty and once again vote for the conservative Blue List for the Student Council. My hopes are with them and I feel confident that they again will remain in office.

No comments: